In the Omni Los Angeles Hotel at California Plaza’s newly updated 453 non-smoking guest rooms and suites, “an inviting palette of soft grays, ivories, midnight blues and rich chocolates captures the elegance of cosmopolitan living at its best.” That’s their pitch, although if you look at the photo before, you might just get that impression. What it is IS cosmopolitan, set in a hip and convenient part of Los Angeles. It is also elegant in a simple modern kind of way. Bottom line: for the price, it’s a great deal in downtown LA and convenient to most things in the nearby area, including a ten minute drive to the Convention Centre if walking distance hotels are sold out or overpriced.
I stayed there for the LA Times Travel Show in late February and was full disclosure, was hosted in the end. No upgrade though, so truth be told, they wanted me to experience the hotel’s most inexpensive room, which is likely the room category many casual travelers would book and some business travelers.
They tout the hotel as one that is equipped for leisure and business travelers alike, each guest room and suite offers modern conveniences and spectacular views of Bunker Hill or California Plaza Watercourt. Some of the features of their rooms are listed below.
- Deluxe Rooms: Featuring 384 square feet of space, with one king, two double beds or two queen beds and spectacular views of Bunker Hill or California Plaza.
- Club Rooms: Featuring up to 410 square feet of space, these rooms include the use of the exclusive Club Lounge (open 7 days), continental breakfast, evening cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
- Premier Rooms: Oversized room featuring up to 410 square feet of space with one king size bed and an in-room living area including plush seating.
- Executive Suites: Featuring 820 square feet of space, these oversized rooms feature a marble bathroom along with the numerous features of our deluxe room category. The separate parlor features an elegant wood bureau-style Murphy bed, large living area, private bath and more.
- California Suites: Each of the three California Suites (Carlton, Melrose and Bellevue Suites) features 1,300 square feet of space and upgraded furnishings. This room category includes one bedroom with European style bathroom and whirlpool tub, option of connecting second bedroom, separate living space including a small dining area and wet bar.
- Presidential Suite : Features 2,855 square feet of space, an oversized bedroom, marble bathroom with Jacuzzi tub, formal sitting and dining rooms, office space, powder room, kitchen pantry with butler entry and option of connecting second bedroom.
Above is a shot of a standard room, not unlike the room I had during my stay. They also have a spa and although I wasn’t able to sample their offerings, I did take a walk down to their gym and spa area. I can’t speak for the services, but the ambiance was about a C – no one on duty and only two rooms for massage and treatments. That said, I get the impression that their hotel is more tailored to business travelers who might be okay with an “in and out” treatment given their busy schedules and are more interested in the fact that you can get a massage on-site and less interested in the ambiance and full blown service.
Below is a sampling of their spa services:
- River Rock Massage: Balance and open the body’s energy centers with the penetrating heat of warm stones. Melt away tension and stress by combining this treatment with optional Deep Tissue deep tissue massage work.
- Enwrapture: Warm linens envelop your body as you soak in aromatic oils and enjoy a deeply calming rest. Then, after your muscles are warm, you are prepared to receive a sixty- or ninety-minute full-body Be Well Massage.
- Be Well Facial: This classic facial includes deep cleansing, gentle exfoliation and a clarifying masque. Detoxify your face and repair blemished pores while encouraging your skin to remain healthy and vibrant. They customize this treatment for many skin types, including mature and sensitive skin.
- Be Well Spa Parties: They pitch this option as the hottest way to entertain in LA is with a Be Well Spa Party.