Napa Valley Film Festival refers both to the event itself and to the organization that produces it (not uncommon in the festival world). The organization’s mission is to support the art of independent filmmaking through producing an annual film festival, developing an increasing array of film-related events throughout the year, and supporting and nurturing student filmmaking programs in local schools.
The 2nd annual Napa Valley Film Festival takes place November 7 – 11, 2012.
A couple of the feature films below:
Shot over eight years, I Am Not A Rock Star is the coming-of-age journey of fiery, Juilliard-trained pianist Marika Bournaki, who will stop at nothing to become a world-class concert pianist. Marika’s parents never realized their own youthful dreams in music and ballet; but they saw their daughter’s raw talent as early as age 5.
Her father-turned-manager risked everything – including his career, family and marriage – to make Marika into a star. From child prodigy accolades at age 9, to backstage tears and moving alone to New York City to study at Juilliard at age 14, the film includes behind-the-scenes footage at concerts, airports, auditions and in hotel rooms around the world. On the cusp of international stardom at age 20, Marika has performed at Carnegie Hall, the Verbier Festival, had an audition with a major recording label, and found her first love – but also finds out her parents are divorcing and begins to question her path. With over 130 hours of footage in nearly a dozen international locations, this is a process film shot in cinema veritթ style about chasing an elusive dream and the cost that comes with it.
French Immersion is a contemporary comedy about five Anglo-Canadians actually four Anglos and a New Yorker who find themselves in a two-week total immersion French program in a remote town in Northern Quebec. The place is perfect for total immersion, since according to the most recent census the population is 97% Quebecois, unilingually French, and fervently nationalist. No one is quite sure who or what the remaining 3% is.
Playing like multiple fish-out-of-water stories simultaneously, the cultural gaffes pile and build upon each other to hilarious effect. A most refreshing and satisfying two hours you will not soon forget.