More beer is brewed in Denver than any other city, so it is only natural that The Mile High City honors its brewing tradition with a nine-day celebration of all things beer. More than 150 beer-centric events are scheduled for the fourth annual Denver Beer Fest from October 5-13, 2012, including Meet the Brewer Nights, beer-paired dinners, firkin nights, brewer versus brewer competitions and the first-ever Denver Beer Fest-official Denver Beer Crawl.
Denver Beer Fest is designed to overlap the Great American Beer Festival (GABF), the “Super Bowl of Beer,” which takes place October 11-13, 2012, at the Colorado Convention Center. GABF is considered to be the most prestigious and coveted beer competition in America.
It is certainly the world’s largest beer celebration with a Guinness World Record for the most beers ever made available for tasting at a single event – some 2,400 different brews from 500 breweries in 2011.
Denver Beer Fest events include:
- Denver Beer Crawl: the first-ever Denver Beer Fest pub crawl that will showcase a dozen Colorado beers at many of Denver’s finest bars, tap houses and breweries
- Rare Beer Tastings: once-in-a-lifetime tastings of unique beers that will never have the opportunity to be consumed by the masses due small quantity batches
- Meet the Brewer Nights: an opportunity for beer lovers to meet the people that craft their favorite brews
- Firkin nights: a Firkin is an original cask conditioned beer; on a Firkin Night, the one-of-a-kind barrel of beer is tapped and everyone drinks it until it is gone, never to be exactly replicated again
- Tap Takeovers: in this event, a local brewery takes over all the taps at a bar or restaurant
- Beer-paired Dinners: a restaurant works with the brewery and has a different course paired with a different beer in a fixed-price dinner
- Beer Competitions: beers are paired off against each other, often with the bar patrons voting for their favorites, until there is one winner
- Beer Education: special programs or lectures that discuss different aspects of beer tasting or brewing
- Pub Crawls: two or more bars work together on a pub crawl, beer walking tour or beer cruiser bike night
- Brewery Tours: behind-the-scene tours of brewery operations
- Beer Games: trivia nights, quizzes, contests, special events
Photo Credit: Steve Mohlenkamp