Within minutes from ESPN, Trumpf, UTC, The Hartford, Smiths Medical, Mount Southington and Lake Compounce Amusement Park in Connecticut, the Residence Inn in Southington CT is a convenient stop off point for those traveling between New York City and Massachusetts or other New England states, whether it be for business or family travel.
Modern in design with clean lines and bright fun colors, the Inn is a great option for families taking long trips in the New England area. Because of the Residence Inn’s rooms which act as suites, parents can get privacy via a separate room that adjoins to their room through a dividing door. (see above). The door from the main bedroom leads to a small living room and kitchenette area. The studios are spacious and their one- and two-bedroom suites are 50% larger than traditional hotel rooms.
All suites offer separate living, eating and sleeping areas, high-speed Internet and comfortable bedding. The couch pulls out to a queen size bed and they provide additional blankets and pillows should you need them.
Below is a two bedroom suite and a one bedroom studio suite, which is a different arrangement from the one bedroom suite (above), which is we had for our stay.
For business travelers and families alike, there’s an on-site exercise room, an indoor swimming pool and a hot tub. We used both of them while we were there, which was a nice way to start a Sunday morning. Just outside the main pool area is a volleyball and basketball court which guests can also use.
The other nice thing about the hotel is that they offer a complimentary hot breakfast buffet and a nightly social hour (Monday-Thursday). The buffet breakfast in the morning includes everything from French toast, pancakes, hot and cold cereals, eggs, bacon, toast and sausage and yoghurt to waffles, fruit and a variety of coffees and teas. You can make your own waffle on their waffle maker and top it with blueberries or strawberries and nuts, always a fun activity to do with kids.
The hotel was clean and the staff was incredibly responsive and helpful when we requested extra towels and blankets, and when we inquired about activities to do in the area. They provide useful handouts with key things to do, including a lengthy restaurant guide with addresses and estimated distances, movie theaters and general entertainment activities.
There is more to do in the area than I thought there would be, especially with children — from zoos and amusement parks to art galleries, ski resorts, theaters, skating rinks and bowling alleys. See below for some ideas.
Nearby General Activities include:
- Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport CT (about an hour’s drive)
- Brownstown Exploration & Discovery Park in Portland CT (about 45 minutes drive)
- Quassy Amusement Park in Middlebury CT (roughly a half hour drive)
- Jump-n-Jammin in Bristol CT (a few miles from the hotel)
- Middletown Rollerskating Rink in Middletown CT (35 minutes drive)
- Six Flags New England in St. Agawam MA
- Quassy Amusement Park in Middlebury CT (about 20-40 minutes drive)
- Brunswick Lanes Bowling in Plantsville CT (5 minutes away)
- Panthorn Park in Plantsville CT (5 minutes away, but mostly only useful in summer, fall and spring months – they have a picnic area, pond, tennis courts, and a softball field)
- The Carousel Museum in Bristol CT (20 miles away)
- Connecticut Science Center in Hartford CT (about 45 minutes drive)
- Imagine Nation Children’s Museum in Bristol CT (20 minutes drive)
Winter Activities Nearby include:
- Mt. Southington Ski Resort in Plantsville CT
- Powder Ridge Mountain Park in Middlefield CT
- Woodbury Ski Area in Woodbury CT
- Bushnell Park in Hartford CT (for ice skating)
- Champion’s Ice Skating Center in Cromwell CT (about 20 minutes away)